Monday, September 26, 2011

I know two heads are better than one. Does that apply to writing projects?

So there I was driving along in my car on the way home from a family outing, my husband asleep in the passenger seat, my kids snoozing in the back.  The music was low.  I was twirling my hair not thinking about much of anything, letting my thoughts go where they would then KABLAM! An idea for a book.

And there I was with nothing to write on, nothing to record with, hoping I could hold onto the contents of my brainpan through the rest of drive and the long process of bedtime.  I clung on with all my strength, conserved thought energy by responding to my husband and children with noncommital grunts then dashed to my laptop the moment the last goodnight kiss had been given.

I pounded out my ideas and thought 'Okay, well that's that.  Now I know what I'm going to be working on when my WIP is done."  Or so I thought.  That idea rattled and tapped around in my head, tantalized me with its newness, its potential, its mystery until I finally said, 'I give!' So now I'm working on two projects; one revision, one first draft.  It's the first time I've ever done this and I'm a little nervous.  My main concern is that the projects might bleed into one another and they are so very different I don't want one to compromise the other.  For those of you who have or are right now working on dual projects, how do you prevent crossover?  And do you give both projects equal time or do you let your muse dictate which one you work on and when?  Any advice would be much appreciated.

6 comments:

Talli Roland said...

I have tried to work on two projects at the same time, and I just couldn't do it. I'm afraid one did suffer...

Old Kitty said...

I can never write two stories simultaneously - just one at a time but that's just me!

I think if you have a shiny new idea to give that time too!! Yay!! Sorry - feeble advice but I think the shiny new idea would not have hit you if it wasn't meant to be born. :-) Take care and good luck!
x

Laura S. said...

I work on different things at the same time, and so far I haven't had any problems with the crossover. I just dedicate certain days to each project. It seems to work out okay for me!

E. Arroyo said...

I've never had the crossover problem. I worked on them depending on what mood I was in and that seemed to work. =)

Arlee Bird said...

I have many projects in the works. I don't have a problem with any crossover, but I do have a problem with focus. I've got some projects that seem very worth pursuing, but I can't seem to finish any of them. That is one of the biggest dangers I see and a real hindrance to my progress. But I think you can do it just fine so long as you focus on the most important matters at hand.


Lee
Tossing It Out

Elizabeth Mueller said...

Lol. When I first read your post title, I was thinking of co-authoring. I try to keep from involving myself in 2 diff WIPs. But right now I'm juggling SO many projects, I feel like I may snap at any minute--I wrote about it over at my blog today! But so is the life of an author, right?


Please join my Darskpell Launch Spookfesta October 31st!